Hang Gliding is a very interesting adventurous activity and is also affordable. Hand gliding is for those people who desire to fly like a bird. Hang glider has a rigid frame. The pilot usually fly in a prone position. Hang glider is controlled by the pilot’s weight.
Pune, Chandigarh, Shimla, Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Devlali and Kalaheti are some places in India where Hang gliding is done. This adventure activity will satisfy your craving for doing something unique and exciting. Hang glider is a foot-launched wing.
Movement of the pilot is of main importance for controlling the hang gliders. Forward, backward and side to side movement of pilot helps to alter the center of gravity of the glider. This movement causes the glider to roll in the direction of pilot’s motion.
The pilot also controls the speed and turning of the hang gliders. Soaring in winter and summer is good for hang gliding. There are many sites in India which are rated best among the best in the world. It is one of the best adventure activity and if you want to try some hardcore adventure in the air, Hang gliding is the best activity to do.
Hang glider is also known as Delta plan. Aluminum alloy and fabric wings are the main compositions of the gliders. During doing hang gliding, the pilot will be strapped to harness that is attached to the light airframe. Hang gliders cover thousands f meter of height and also perform aerobatics. Gliders will surely get mesmerized from the view of pasture lands, beautiful scenic views and rivers. Glider is also known as a wing and the harness.
There are three basic techniques of Hang Gliding:
These techniques are very easy to learn. Gliders can fly solo and can also progress higher flights. Most importance topic is safety. Hang gliding can be safe as well as dangerous as you want. Hang gliding is known to one of the most exciting outdoor sport. Changing weather is also of big consideration.
The pilot should have a proper training and better preparation so that pilot can enjoy their flying. Hang gliders should know about the precautions of Hang gliding. Gliders should remember all the Do’s and Don’ts of Hang Gliding.
Best Time for Doing Hang Gliding
Best time for doing Hang gliding is from mid-May to June and from September to mid-October.
Hand gliders should be mentally and physically fit. Gliders should follow the safety instruction given by the trainer. Hang gliding gives you a unique experience and also give a unique way to fly solo in the air. Hang gliding is an open sky adventure sport. Hang gliding was introduced in India in 1991-92.
Foreign visiting pilots decided to explore the unexplored flying beauty of Kullu Valley. Gliders will enjoy their flying like birds only if they follow the rules of their trainer. Hang gliding is a popular activity which is very famous among adventure lovers. Gliders should not be afraid of height. Gliders will surely enjoy their flying in the open atmosphere with your friends and family.
Also Read: Top 6 Places for Bungee Jumping in India
Equipment of Hang Gliding
Hand Gliding consist of the following structures:
1) Sail: Sail is made up of nylon and also of Dacron.
2) Steel Wires: Steel wires support the stress on the glider and also supports various weights on the glider. There are 5 types of wires used in Hang gliding:
- Front Wires: Front wires connect the control bar with the junction of the leading-edge tubes.
- Plastic Battens: Plastic battens are inserted into pockets to stiffen certain spots.
- Nose Wires: These wires control the control bar and the nose.
- Rear Wires: Rear wires connect the control bar to the back of the keel.
- Landing Wires: Landing wires connect nose and kingpost.
3) Kingpost: Kingpost is attached to keel on the side of the control bar and also supports the wires that are on the top of the glider.
4) Aluminum Tubes: These aluminum tubes is the skeleton of the glider. Given below are the list of some tubes:
- Keel: Keel bisects the nose of the triangle.
- Control Bar: The Control bar is a smaller triangle-shaped tube and it is connected at a right angle. This bar is used by the pilot to maneuver the glider.
- Leading-Edge Tubes: This tube form the triangular shape.
- Crossbar: Crossbar provides support by rigidly connecting the keel with the leading edges.
5) Harness: Harness is used to attach the center-of-mass of the glider. It is located behind the control bar. There are many types of harness and it also holds the pilot in a prone position.
6) Safety Equipment: Here is the list of some safety equipment:
- The helmet is one of the most important safety equipment. As it provides safety to the pilot’s head.
- Goggles are also safety equipment that protects the eyes from radiation. These goggles are similar to Ski Goggles.
- Reserve Parachutes are a must for high-altitude fights.
- Altimeter instrument is used by some pilots to track the glider’s altitude.
- A variometer is used to keep track of the glider’s climb or descent rate.
Also Read: Top 10 Places for River Rafting
Some places that are best for Hang Gliding in India