|Capital of Andaman||Port Blair|
|Capital of Nicobar||Car Nicobar|
|STATE BIRD||Andaman Wood Pigeon|
|LANGUAGE SPOKEN||Bengali, Hindi, Tamil, Nicobarese, Telugu, Malayalam and English|
|TEMPERATURE||Summer 24°C to 32°C (April to June)|
Monsoon 21°C – 35°C (May – September)
Winter 202°C to 30°C (December – February)
There are 69.44% of the people who are Hindus, 21.7% of the population are Christians and 8.51% of Muslims as a minority.
About Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are one of the best places to visit in India. It has the maximum number of beaches all over the India which is the main tourist attraction of these islands. But despite these beautiful beaches, there is number of amazing places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The total land area of these Islands is approximately 824 km square. The Islands host the Andaman and Nicobar Command, the only tri-service geographical command of the Indian Armed Forces. It is home to Paleolithic people, the Sentinels people, who have no contact with any other people. This comprises of two islands groups, the Andaman Islands and the Nicobar Islands, with the Andaman to the north and Nicobars to the south.
The Andaman Sea lies to the east and the Bay of Bengal to the west. Andaman and Nicobar Islands are developing into a major tourism hub with exotic-looking beaches and pristine islands having equally exotic names.
Places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Cellular Jail National Memorial“Kaala Pani” referred to this place. This is a British prison that is now a shrine to the political Dissidents it one jailed. It was destroyed by the Japanese during World War 2. It still stands tall reminding us of our brave and gallant forefathers.
- Havelock’s Gem: This is one of the best places to visit in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It has been also crowned as ‘Asia’s Best Beach’. This place offers the white sand, breathtaking sunset and turquoise blue waters. Radhanagar is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Andaman and one of the best places in India to visit. The landscape here is picture-perfect.
- Mount Harriet and Madhuban: Trekking is another awesome thing to do in Andaman especially. One can enjoy the 16-kilometer trek from Mount Harriet to Madhuban. One can witness exotic flora and fauna of the land amidst spectacular sceneries. Elephant safari is also an option to explore the forest of Mount Harriet.
- Museum circuit: This museum circuit has a few of the greatest places to visit in Andaman. Samudrika Naval Marine Museum in Port Blair also offers a glimpse into the biodiversity of marine life. If you are a person who loves to see a collection of artifacts, this is a place that should be in your list of places to visit in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Rose Island: The next place in the list of places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar Islands is Rose Islands. This place is very notorious and is a picturesque location. This place is famous for ruins of the Penal colony that precedes the cellular jail or the Kaala Panni.
- Rangat: This place is heaven for flora and fauna lovers. It is the breeding ground for turtles. The Cuthbert Bay Wildlife Sanctuary on the beach provides an undisturbed view of newly born turtles scrambling towards the sea. If you are in Andaman and Nicobar, don’t forget to visit this amazing place.
- Baratang Island: The boat ride is covered with a canopy of the forest which is also home to the Jarwa tribe. The main attractions of this place are the Limestone Caves which have formed some unique shapes.
- Port Blair: This place gives a reminder of the many sacrifices of freedom fighters. This place is also a gateway to other tourist attractions. Ferries operate mainly from Port Blair to other islands. Freedom Fighters were incarcerated in the prison colony including Veer Savarkar and Batukeshwar Dutt. With this amazing place, we end up the list of places to visit in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Top Honeymoon Places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
If you planning your Honeymoon, you can consider the Andaman and Nicobar as your Honeymoon destination. This place offers you a number of beautiful places that make your honeymoon exciting and memorable.
- Diglipur: It is located on the Andaman Island and is a great site located in the north. It is a perfect place for beach lovers and a town is also a perfect place for nature lovers as one can explore the richness of nature. One can enjoy the natural beauty of Andaman and Nicobar Island in the month of October to May.
- Average couple cost: The cost of the trip to the island starts from 40,000 to 65000 rupees per couple.
- Little Andaman Island is a part of the Andaman Islands. This beach has two waterfalls that are:
- Whisper wave waterfall and the white wave waterfall. This place can be visited in the months of October to May.
- Average Couple coast: 40,000 to 65000 rupees per couple are the charges taken from the visitors.
- Neil Island: It is one of the hottest tourist spots with Andaman. Couples come here from different states and countries to enjoy underwater Scenery, water sports such as Scuba Diving and snorkeling at Laxmanpur, Sitapur and Bharatpur beaches. Neil is the place for nature seekers and has some pristine beaches and a few romantic hotels and beach resorts. Laxmanpur Beach, Sitapur Beach and Bharatpur beach are the main places to visit in Neil Island.
- Havelock Island: This beach offers you lush greenery, lush green forests and sandy beaches at the Azure Sea. Exotic beach resorts allow you complete privacy and plenty of water adventures. There are both easy and moderately difficult adventures that honeymoon couples in Havelock can enjoy. Sunrises sunsets are particularly beautiful here.
- Campbell Bay: The Park showcases the abundance of greenery with tropical forests having orchids and tree fans. It has a park located in it. This Campbell Park showcases the abundance of greenery with tropical forests having orchids and tree fans.
- Cinque Island: This place offers you life experiences of admiring nature in its fullest. Visit Coral Garden will give you unforgettable memories.
- Port Blair: It still has its rustic charm depicting the best of the British Raj. The sea views and sunsets are magnificent. Light and sound shows are must.
Adventure sports in Andaman and Nicobar Island:
- Banana Boat Ride: This activity is very enjoyable and is perfectly safe. You have only required to wear life jackets.
- Undersea walking: You can walk on the soft sand of the sea and enjoy the underwater talk.
- Jet Skiing: You need to be familiar with the controls of the machine and you will definitely enjoy hovering over the seawater.
- Scuba Diving: There are many places in Andaman and Nicobar Island that are the perfect place to enjoy the underwater nature.
- Parasailing: You will enjoy this activity the most as it feels like a kite in the open atmosphere and will enjoy both the Sea and the Sky.
- Snorkeling: Just dive in the water of the sea and enjoy and witness the marine creature in their natural habitat, colorful corals and they can also be felt by touching.
- Sports Fishing: You can return with your trophy that will be the fish you had caught and can also be eaten at your dinner.
- Speed Boating: This activity will make you get thrilled, feel the exuberance, maneuver the sea with speed.
- Trekking and Camping: Andaman and Nicobar Island is a paradise for nature lovers as well as to the trekkers. This place is rich in Flora as about 2200 species of plants, and fauna, about 270 species of birds can be witnessed during the trekking.
Flora and Fauna
There are 9 national parks, 1 Biosphere Reserve and 96 wildlife sanctuaries. Andaman and Nicobar Island is home to about 225 species of butterflies and moths. Mount Harriet National Park is one of the richest areas of butterfly and moth diversity on these Island. The Island has a tropical rainforest canopy. 2200 varieties of plants have been recorded here and 200 are endemic and 1300 do not occur in mainland India. 86.2% of the area is covered with forest.
This forest area is a mixture of twelve types of forest that are:
- Giant Evergreen Forest
- Cane Brakes
- Tropical Evergreen Forest
- Southern hilltop Tropical Evergreen Forest
- Wet Bamboo Brakes
- Andamans semi-evergreen forest
- Moist deciduous forest
- Andamans secondary moist deciduous forest
- Littoral Forest
- Brackish water mixed forest
- Submontane forest
- Littoral forest
Interesting facts about Andaman and Nicobar Island are
- Katchal Island in Andaman and Nicobar Island received the first sunrise of the millennium.
- Pandanus, also known as Nicobar Breadfruit is a rare fruit found and widely eaten in Nicobar.
- Commercial fishing is banned in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Barren Island is the only active volcano in India and is located in the Andaman Islands.
- North Sentinel Island is the home to the most isolated Paleolithic tribes of the world.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands are developing into a major tourism hub with exotic-looking beaches and pristine Islands. Cellular Jail, Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Andaman Water sports complex, Mini Zoo, Chidiya Tapu, Chatham Saw Mill, Wandoor Beach, Forest Museum, Anthropological Museum, Fisheries Museum, Naval Museum, Ross Island and Viper Island are the main places to visit in Port Blair which is the capital city of the territory. Permits are required for foreign nationals, not for the Indian tourist but if they wish to visit any tribal areas they need a special permit from the Deputy Commissioner, Port Blair. The Radha Nagar beach of Andamans was chosen as Asia’s best beach in 2004.
Famous Cuisines of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Tandoori fish
- Fish Curry
- Grilled Lobsters
- Macher Jhol
- Chilli Curry
The climate of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a tropical climate and has very high humidity. Relative Humidity is 70% to 90% high. Rough weather prevails during the monsoon season in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Irregular rainfall is also present during the south-west monsoon. Sea breezes are also common in the tropical climate of Andaman and Nicobar.
Best Time to Visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The best time to visit Andaman & Nicobar Islands is between October and May. This is the time when the weather is pleasant, just perfect for water sports, sightseeing and beach excursion.
How to Reach Andaman and Nicobar Islands
As you know that there are lots of beautiful and amazing places to visit in the Andaman and Nicobar islands. If you want to see and explore these places, you have two options. Either you can go by air or take a sea route. There is no road transportation facility to reach this beautiful place.
There is mainly one airport in Andaman and Nicobar islands. Which is Veer Savarkar International Airport in Port Blair.
Another way to reach this place is by sea. It is quite time consuming as compared to the flight but you will love it if you take the sea route to reach this beautiful destination. You can get the ship from Chennai and Kolkata. The journey is about 60 hours.