|STATE BIRD||Sooty tern (Anus solidus piletus) locally known as “Karifettu”.|
|STATE ANIMAL||Butterflyfish (Chaetodon Auriga) locally known as “Fakkikadia”.|
|MAIN TOWNS||Agatti Island, Minicoy Island, Kalpeni Islands, Kadmat Islands, Bangaram Island, Island of Thinnakara|
|TEMPERATURE||Summer(March to June)(22℃ to 33℃) Monsoon(July to Sep)(20℃ to 28℃) Winter(Oct to Feb)(20℃ to 30℃)|
Also means ‘hundred thousand islands’. Lakshadweep has some of the most beautiful and exotic Islands and beaches of India. It is a group of beautiful Islands. Lakshadweep includes 36 Islands and ten Islands are inhabited. The Island is densely covered with coconut palms and threaded by an unbroken line of creamy sand. Some islands have been promoted for diving and water sports and other have been developed to enjoy the charm of relaxation and natural enjoyment. With soft sandy beaches basking under the sun, the Lakshadweep Islands have exotic beaches that offer a variety of activities. Lakshadweep is a very popular destination among tourists as it has splendid lagoons, long stretches of golden sand and palm trees swinging over like a canopy.
- Minicoy Island: It is the second largest island of Lakshadweep and is surrounded by a beautiful village named Avah. Tuna fishing is an adventure in itself and if you get lucky there is a chance you might catch a game on the play. Fishing is a popular sport and men and women are seen flocking to the nearest water body every time there is a high tide. This place is loaded with coconut trees and sandy beaches.
- Kadmat Island: This Island is one of the best places to visit in Lakshadweep. The clear waters surrounding the island is enough to keep you captivated all day and all night long. There are many different types of water sports here.
- Kalpeni: Tuna lover, Kalpeni is the best place to visit in Lakshadweep. The clean waters allow a clear view of what lies inside the waters. The island bears striking resemblance to the Maldives. It is also known as a blue lagoon.
- Kavaratti: Mosques with defining architecture and concrete constructions. White sand beaches and clear waves define this place, which is often preferred by vacationers who travel to the beach to tan. This place has a defining architecture and concrete constructions.
Adventure Activities that can be done in Lakshadweep:
- Scuba Diving: This adventure sport prevalently practiced in the islands of Lakshadweep.
- Surfing: An Ideal destination for any water sports crazy person. Some of the water sports besides Surfing in Lakshadweep are:
- Lagoon Fishing
- Scuba Diving
- Water Skiing
- Speed Boating
- Snorkeling: This adventure sport has gained wide popularity.
- Kayaking: As watersports, Kayaking is very popular in the waters of Lakshadweep.
- Canoeing: It is an ideal destination for water sports enthusiasts because of its vast stretch of shallow lagoons.
- Para Sailing: It offers excellent opportunities for parasailing.
- Sail Boats: It attracts tourists for its charming sea escape
- Id-Ul-Fitr: It is celebrated by the Muslim inhabitants. It is one of the biggest festivals of Lakshadweep. Also pronounced as Eid-Ul-Fitr.
- Bakrid: It is a symbolic festival of Muslims in Lakshadweep. It is a place of colorful festivities.
- Muharram: This festival commemorates the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussein, who was the grandson of the prophet Mohammed, at Karbala in Iraq. The Hindu population of Lakshadweep was converted to Islam by Hazrat Ubaidullah of Mecca.
- Milad Ul Nabi: It is Eid-Milad-ul-Nabi and also known as Mawlid. 93% of the inhabitants follow Islam.
7 Interesting Facts about Lakshadweep:
- Medieval history confirms the rule of Chola Empire in the Lakshadweep islands.
- Coconut is the only crop of Economic Importance.
- Islam is the chief religion of this territory and more than 90% of the population is Muslim.
- The earlier name of these Islands was Laccadive Islands.
- Silica and Corals are the only minerals of this territory.
- The grave of Saint Ubaidullah is considered a sacred place.
- It is known for production and export of Tuna fish.
The tropical climate of Lakshadweep remains pleasant. The islands receive rainfall more during monsoon. Best time to visit Lakshadweep is in between October to May. Hot summer seasons are also pleasant as the sea makes the climate cool and pleasant.
The cuisines consist of lip-smacking sea-food with a touch of Coconut. It has a spicy non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes. The local food consists of coconut and sea-fish. Coconut water is a favorite drink amongst locals and tourists alike. Some of the main dishes of Lakshadweep:
- Rice and avail
- Fried tuna fish
- Puri and potato curry
- Malabar Chicken
- Coconut Water
- Sea Fish