|State||Jammu & Kashmir|
|BEST TIME TO VISIT||April to October|
Thajiwas Glacier is one of the best trek in Jammu and Kashmir and is a paradise on Earth. This place is perfect for nature lovers as Thajiwa Glacier is surrounded by snowcapped mountains and bright flowers.
This place gives you peace of mind and will surely generate energy in your body. The snowcapped mountains that stands with cerulean sky. Food lovers can also get to eat fresh trout and masher. Snow trout can be caught in the main river. Summary means ‘meadow of gold’ and this place itself signifies its beauty.
The trek offers different adventurous routes with amazing green water and frozen lakes around. This place is a main tourist destination. Camping is also done here in the nearby areas. It is one of the most accessible glacier of Jammu and Kashmir region.
This glacier shows the charm and natural beauty of Sonmarg. Riding up the hill on ponies and leisure walks in the valley can give you the best view of Sonmarg tourist places. This trek is very enthusiastic and enjoyable.
Everyone should follow the rules and regulation of the place so that the environment also kept clean as litters of plastic bottles, etc., can be seen during trekking in the route. Thajiwa Glacier trek is located on the foothills of Zojila.
The walk on the trek is thrilling and will surely refresh you. The path is bit dangerous as it has narrow paths and one should be careful while walking.
Trekkers will surely feel pleasant and refreshing as this trek is surrounded by cold, fresh air with the Sky scraping mountains. It is also a popular site among Indians as well as I Bollywood Industry.
May famous Bollywood movies are shot here. You can also grab some food in the local dhabas and food court. One can easily trek to its base. The trek is half an hour walk from Sonmarg town.
Most of the trekkers love to go by walking but many trekkers also go through hired ponies. Gujjars are the local peoples here and made their camp on either side of the valley.
This trek is covered by lush meadows, soaring peaks topped with snow. The place will surely rejuvenate you and will give inner peace to the soul and will definitely mesmerize you.
Highlights of Thajiwa Glacier Trek:
- Trekkers enjoy a sled ride in the area even during summers.
- Trekkers also hire the sleds from the Gujjars during peak season.
- Gujjars offers rides across the glacier.
- Camping is the best adventurous activity, as the whole area where the camping is done is surrounded by glaciers.
- Trekkers enjoy this trek as it is one of the best trek in India and is an amazing trek that one can experience.
- Trekkers will also see beautiful waterfalls and streams.
- Trekkers find this trek as unique and thrilling experience.
- Sindh River makes Thajiwas Glacier more amazing and mesmerizing.
- Trekkers enjoy this destination because of its natural settings and beautiful surroundings.
Also Read: Prashar Lake Trek
Sonamarg – Thajiwas. It is about 5km from the highway, 7km from Sonamarg town and about 600 feet higher.
What To Pack
Here is your checklist for your treks. Make sure to pack these items.
- A rucksack with rain cover
- A Hand/Head Torch with spare batteries
- UV Protection Sunglasses
- A trekking pole
- Water Bottle
- A Full Sleeve Thick Jacket
- A Full Sleeve Sweater
- Thermal Inners
- Toilet Kit
- Hot Water Bags
- Socks (3 pairs)
- Light wind jacket
- Trekking pants
- Warm hat
- Light gloves
- Duffel bag
- A light weight umbrella.
- Money pouch/belt
- Energy bars
- Vitamin tablets
Also Read: Chadar Trek
- Non-skid deep trod hiking shoes -1
- Pair of lightweight Slipper/Sandals -1
- Camera (optional)
- Personal medicine kit. Make sure you consult your doctor before the trek in case you have any special ailment.
- Dry fruits, energy bars